Silver Hill Volunteer Fire Department is part of the Prince George’s County Fire & EMS Department. Volunteers at Silver Hill are exposed to a fast paced, “city style” way of firefighting and EMS. As a suburb of Washington, DC, Silver Hill Volunteer Fire Department boasts one of the largest first due areas in the county, to include major roadways (I-495, I-95, Suitland Parkway) along with residential, commercial, schools, shopping malls, high rises, and four METRO Stations. Silver Hill Volunteer Fire Department is centrally located between many local Universities (Univ. of Maryland, George Washington, Georgetown, UMBC, PGCC, Bowie State), making a rewarding career as a Volunteer and going to school possible!
Training is free, and no experience is required. Nationally recognized training facilities and a call volume of over 15,000 calls/year for service, ensure that a Volunteer’s training and experience always keeps him/her one step ahead.
- Most recently in 2010, Co. 29 was recognized as the 7th Busiest Station in the United States by Firehouse Magazine.
We welcome strong minded, motivated individuals looking for something different; who are looking to get involved in their community in the most unique way possible. Join a tradition unlike any other, TODAY!
- All Fire/EMS training is provided at Nationally Accredited facilities
- Uniforms and gear are provided to our members
Scholarships / College Credits
- College Tuition Assistance offered through the State of Maryland
- Receive college credits for fire/rescue training
Retirement / Tax Breaks
- Length of Service Awards Program (LOSAP)
- Eligible for a $3,500 annual Maryland State tax break
- Free 24hour Access to a gym facility in the firehouse
- Free WiFi and computer access
- Cable TV / Offices and Study Spaces / Lounges / Kitchen / Laundry
- Bunk Room with separate space for Live Ins
Silver Hill Volunteer Fire Department is currently accepting applications for the following positions,