If you ask yourself whether you meet Jesus’ definition of being a good Samaritan what is your answer? If you volunteer your time as a firefighter, paramedic, emergency medical technician then you no longer have to question yourself. Volunteers meet the requirements laid out in the story of the Good Samaritan in every way because the story is a human story not a spiritual story. It is not a story about perfection. It is a story about service.
- The Good Samaritan was going about his daily travel routine. There was nothing mysterious about what he was doing.
- The Good Samaritan came upon a man laying on the ground who was injured. He was aware of what was going on around him.
- The Good Samaritan bandaged the man up and took him to an Inn. He knew how to help the man.
- The Good Samaritan inquired about how he could help the man in the future. He knew the Inn would provide treatment.
- The Good Samaritan went on his way and the story never indicated that he ever contacted the man again. The Good Samaritan indicated he would check back with the Inn Keeper and not the man he served. He knew the most important part of his relationship with the man was through service.
As Fire Service personnel we provide this type of service everyday. Exchange the word Inn for Hospital and you have this story repeated thousands of times a day all over this Country. Don’t go through life as an on looker to disasters and emergencies. Don’t wish you could do more. Join Us!! We will train you and you can give 24 hours a month to serve others. You can enrich the lives of others and be the Good Samaritan you always wanted to be. Go to the Apply Now page and put in an application. We will email you and get you on the road to service.
Come to the Silver Hill Volunteer Fire Department at 3900 Old Silver Hill Road in Suitland. Share this story with those who you think want to be Good Samaritans but have found no way to express that side of themselves until now.